Call us today 404-963-9452

Contempt & Enforcement

Atlanta Contempt and Enforcement Lawyers

You may feel as though you've gone through the divorce process successfully. The long and complex road is behind you and you can move on with your life. After all, the judge in your case signed off on the divorce decree and all matters concerning child custody, child support, alimony, and property division are in place, right?

Unfortunately, there are problems that can still exist long after the divorce is over when one person decides he or she wants to ignore the terms put forth in the final order. If your ex-spouse failing to abide by the court's final order, you may have the right to take action and force them to abide as they should.

If your ex is denying you your parenting time, failing to make child support or alimony payments (or making only partial payments), or disregarding anything else in your order, you need to take action quickly.  

The courts do not look kindly on those who do not follow their orders, but they can only help if they are aware of the issues.  

When are They Necessary?

Enforcement orders are most often needed when a divorce order involves matters of child support, alimony, and child custody. In some instances, there is also failure to abide by the court's order on property and asset division.  Contempt issues may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • When your ex is required to pay child support but is either not paying or only paying a portion of the ordered amount.
  • When your ex-spouse is required to pay alimony but they're avoiding the monthly or lump-sum payment.
  • When your ex is withholding visitation or otherwise violating the terms of your parenting plan.
  • When your ex has failed to abide by the property division terms of your final order.

At Atlanta Family Law Group LLC, we'll work with you to review your original court order and determine if your ex-spouse is in contempt of that order. If we believe this to be the case, we'll help you gather the necessary documents and evidence to present to the court in hopes of securing an enforcement of your final order. We'll request the necessary relief you need to move forward.

Our Atlanta divorce attorneys are ready to work with you and determine your options moving forward. We're caring, experienced, and passionate about pursuing the most favorable outcome for our clients. We know how challenging this situation can be and you shouldn't have to pursue an enforcement, but when you do, we'll be there for you every step of the way.  If your ex is not following your court order, contact our office today at (404) 963-9452 to discuss how we may help you in a contempt or enforcement action.


Atlanta Family Law Group LLC is committed to answering your questions about family law issues in Atlanta.

Contact us today to schedule an appointment.